Facials from Your Fridge
Facials are great for you skin. If your skin is oily, a facial can absorb excess oil. If it’s dry, a facial can hydrate. If your skin is dull, the right facial will put the roses back in your cheeks. At the spa or cosmetic counter, facials cost a pretty penny. Then, when you read the ingredient list, you may ask yourself, “Do I want THAT on my face?” A simple, economical, natural alternative is to make your own facials from scratch.
Mix up any of the following, depending on your skin type. Before application, wash your face well. Then, heat up a very damp towel in the microwave. (Be careful! Not too hot!) Wrap your face in the towel a few minutes to open up the pores. Or, pour some very hot water into a large bowl. Lean over the bowl, with a dry towel draped over your head, and let the steam open your pores. Pat dry and apply the mask of your choice. Leave on for 15 minutes and rinse.
Always avoid the eye area. For extra care, patch test in a small area to make sure you’re not allergic!
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Mix and wait till frothy. Apply to face. Rinse with warm water.
For unsightly blackheads:
- 1 egg white beaten
- ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
- Mix and apply. Rinse with warm water.
Normal or combination skin:
- One egg
- ½ cup oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Mix ingredients till smooth. Apply to face. Rinse with warm water.
- One egg yolk
- One teaspoon honey
- One teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon vitamin E oil (optional)
- Mix well, apply to face and leave on for 15 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry. If your face feels dry, follow up with a few drops of olive oil or your regular moisture cream.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Mix and gently rub into dried skin on cheeks, chin and forehead. Rinse. Avoid the eye area! Also works well on elbows and feet.
For a deep cleaning mask, simply spread a blended egg white on your face. For healing blemishes, apply a stirred egg yolk, leave on 30 minutes and rinse with cool water.
Even fresh produce can leave your face feeling fruity-ful! Blend into a paste, apply and leave on for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
- Cucumber or carrot for oily skin. (Cucumber may lighten skin; carrot may leave a tanned appearance.)
- Avocado for dry skin.
- Strawberries or grapes for a refreshing pick-me-up.
Follow your facial with your favorite toner and moisturizer. Repeat every two weeks. In between, treat your skin well. Drink plenty of water; eat plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains and a bit of healthy fat. Face this fact! Your face is only as healthy as you are!Login to Favorite