Contributed by Old Orchard Staff
A healthful and classic treat, baked apples are a warm comfort food for a cold evening. With the addition of currants and apricot jam, the reliable classic gets a new, almost elegant touch.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of Old Orchard Healthy Balance Apple Juice
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons toasted chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 6 medium apples, cored and peeled
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 tbs. of Old Orchard apple juice to a simmer and remove from the heat.
- Add the currants, stir and let them sit for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, stir together the sugar-free apricot jam, almonds and sugar.
- Add the currants and their juice and mix well.
- Use this mixture to stuff the apples.
- Pour the remaining 1 cup of Old Orchard apple juice into the pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes until apples start to look tender.
- Serve hot.