Grape Juice Meringue Pie
Contributed by Old Orchard Staff
This meringue pie uses sweet grape juice cocktail as its main ingredient. Don’t be intimidated by making a meringue, all you need a good set of beaters to get the peaks just right.
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 cups Old Orchard Healthy Balance Grape Juice Cocktail
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- 9” ready made pie crust, warmed and browned in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the filling, in a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar and the cornstarch.
- Stir in the grape juice cocktail and water.
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Separate the eggs; set the whites aside for the meringue.
- Beat the egg yolks slightly and pour slowly while stirring into the hot mixture.
- For the meringue, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Beat in the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Carefully spread the meringue over the hot filling in the pie crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes, just until the meringue is golden brown.