Contributed by bzmomof4
- 1 gallon water
- 1 cup Old Orchard Apple juice
- 3/4 cup salt
- 1 Tbsp whole peppercorns
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup Crown Royal whiskey (optional)
- 10-15lb turkey
- carrots, celery, & 1 onion
- cooking spray or olive oil
- your favorite poultry seasoning mix
- Remove the organs and neck from the turkey’s cavities.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large container. I use a stockpot.
- Once the salt & sugar are dissolved, add in the turkey and place in the fridge overnight. Don’t worry if your turkey was frozen & hasn’t thawed completely, soaking in the brine should thaw it the rest of the way.
- Remove turkey & pat dry, inside & out. Discard brine liquid. Place in aluminum pan, spray or rub bird with oil & sprinkle liberally with poultry season. Stuff onions, celery, & carrots into cavity to keep the turkey moist.
- Place in smoker at lower section of Ideal gauge (about 250 degrees) for 6-8 hours depending on size of bird.
- When timer pops up or temp reaches 165 degrees, remove & tent loosely with foil. Allow to rest for 25 minutes, then carve & enjoy.
If there are any leftovers, this makes the best turkey salad sandwiches ever. There are rarely leftovers when we make one.
*tip If the skin starts to get too dark, cover loosely with foil in the smoker.
This was modified from the Neely’s smoked turkey recipe.