Tofu Spinach & Mozzarella Melt with Lemon Dill Aioli
Contributed by danima
- 1 Package Tofu EXTRA FIRM – drained
- Spinach – frozen or fresh (if frozen follow cooking instructions)
- 1 1/2 cups (or more) Shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 4 Slices wheat bread – toasted
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. Lemon Pepper seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. (or more) Dill
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic powder
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Cut Tofu into 4 rectangular slices (should be size and shape of sliced bread). Place Tofu into greased baking pan.
- Drizzle with EVOO and sprinkle with salt and pepper and any other spices you like (I like cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper to give it a kick but its also good plain).
- Cook Tofu slices @ 450 until juices are bubbling and Tofu browning (around 20-30 minutes).
- Pull Pan out of the oven and top 2 Tofu slices generously with Spinach and Mozzarella cheese stack remaining 2 slices of Tofu and on top and “sandwich” the Spinach and Mozzarella in the middle.
- Put back in the oven and BROIL until the surface of the Tofu is golden brown toasted to perfection and cheese is melted (keep a close eye on it this usually take 7-12 minutes and can burn easily).
- Pull pan out of oven and top with slices of Tomato and Onion.
- Broil for an additional 3-5 minutes until Tomato and Onion are heated.
- To Make Aioli – combine mayonnaise, lemon juice and spices in small mixing bowl and serve cold either spread on sandwich or on the side for dipping.
- Toast Wheat bread and spread it with Aioli then slide the tofu melt onto the bread and enjoy you really yummy sandwich!!
This meal tastes great with Old Orchard Juice! I like Apple Raspberry!