2/3 cup green or brown lentils
1/2 cup red lentils
1 1/2 Tbsp. canola oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 medium cloves garlic, peeled and minced
3/4 cup peeled and finely chopped carrot
3/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
14.5 oz. can vegetable broth
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
2.5 cups water
14.5 oz. can low-sodium peeled and diced tomatoes, undrained
2 medium white potatoes, peeled and diced into about 1/2 inch cubes
1. Put lentils into sieve and rinse well; drain.
2. In large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat.
3. Add onion, garlic, carrot and bell pepper; saute 10 min.
4. Add a couple Tbsp. of the broth as the vegetables begin to stick to the bottom of the pan.
5. Add cumin, coriander and cayenne. Stir 1 minute.
6. Add remaining broth, water, lentils, tomatoes and potatoes.
7. Bring to a boil, stirring well to prevent lentils from sticking.
8. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer 45 min or until potatoes and lentils are tender.