Apple Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Contributed by SpewHole
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large apples, peeled and coarsely grated (3 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Place a rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 8-inch round pans. Whisk together flour through salt. In a bowl, mix apples and sugar.
- Stir dry ingredients into apple mixture. Mix in eggs and oil. Divide batter between pans; bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes; then invert onto a rack to cool completely.
- Make frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy, 2 minutes. Reduce speed; add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Mix until combined, 2 minutes more.
Place a cake layer on a platter; spread top with 1 cup frosting. Top with second cake layer. Frost top and sides and decorate with walnuts.