Garden Fresh Couscous Salad
Contributed by Susan S.
Mix all of your favorite fresh fruits and veggies with couscous (and a splash of juice) for a light and tasty summer dish!
- 1 ¼ cups Old Orchard Grape juice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup dried cherries or dried cranberries
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup pineapple salsa or any other fruity salsa
- 6-8 strawberries
- 6-8 grape tomatoes
- ½ peach, skin on
- ½ avocado, peeled
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 8-10 mint leaves, finely cut (reserve a few for garnish if desired)
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, bring the juice, salt, and dried fruit to a boil.
- Stir in the couscous, cover, and remove from the heat so that the liquids absorb (about 5 minutes) while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Cut the strawberries, tomatoes, peach, and avocado into bite-sized pieces.
- Gently stir in the salsa, cut fruit and veggies, oil, almonds, and mint leaves.
- Garnish with remaining mint leaves if desired.
- Chill the salad for an hour or more before serving.
NOTE: I often use whatever fruits and veggies I have available when I make this salad, and canned fruit works fine if fresh fruit is not in season. Apple juice, cranberry juice, or orange juice can be substituted for the grape juice.